There is so much to do in the Yucatan! Take many day trips to the surrounding ruins, cenotes, museums or spend the day exploring the beaches on the Gulf of Mexico.
- Walk the beach and the malecon
- Go to see pink flamingos either just outside of Progreso or in Celestun, (a 2 hour drive away)
- Visit numerous ruins: Dzibilchultun is the nearest of the commercial ruins, (about 30 minutes away), and it has a fabulous above ground cenoté. There are lots of partially excavated sites around the Progreso area.
- Swim in some of the many cenotés…there’s one right in Progreso!
- Visit Sotuta de Peon: a great tour of a former working hacienda, complete with an underground cenoté swim. This is about 60 minutes from Casa SolMar.
- Wander the historic and beautiful city of Merida.
- Try your hand at kite surfing!
- Rent kayaks and paddle through the mangroves, (about a 25 minute walk from from Casa Sol Mar);
- Meet the very friendly locals and practice your Spanish!